There are dozens of studies going on across the United States at any particular time. These research studies are very important because of the fact that this is the only way to find ways for people who are overweight or obese can lose weight. Some studies research drugs, and some study food plans. A few analyze exercise.
So what are the advantages of participating in a study?
1. You get paid. These studies may pay anywhere from $100 to $5,000.
2. You often get free food. Often, many of these studies provide free food on a regular basis, if the research is related to types of foods and weight loss.
3. You get free blood tests. These studies check your blood with a basic metabolic panel or a complete blood count.
4. Dietary counseling is also often included.
5. You are providing a public benefit. By participating, you help researchers determine ways for other people to lose weight.
6. And most important of all, you are likely to lose weight.
So the next question is, how do I find out about these research studies?
Here are a few:
Women’s Health Research
Testing an FDA approved drug for the purpose of weight loss in obese individuals.
Weight Loss (for those with cardiac risk factors)
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
A clinical study for patients with Obesity
Massachusetts General Hospital
A clinical study for patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea or Obesity
Washington University in St. Louis – Center for Clinical Studies
St. Louis MO
Testing whether dopamine receptors in the brain are altered in obesity
St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center at New Jersey
a clinical research study evaluating Endoscopic gastric restrictive procedure for the treatment of Obesity, Body Weight or Overweight
Human Metabolic Research Unit, Cornell University
A clinical research study of Commercial diet for the treatment of Weight Loss
PMG Research of Charlotte
Before going ahead with any of these studies, make sure you are aware of all the risks. Once you understand those, and you begin, then you can reap the benefits.